We officially suck at blogging! Okay, I keep forgetting I have one of these. It's not that we don't have stuff going on, because we do. It's just that I forget to take pictures and I forget to mention it.
Last week was our wedding anniversary. We have been married for three years now!
(Side note: trying to find that perfect anniversary gift is HARD!)
As a surprise Kelly took us up to Asheville. For anyone who cares about such things, President Obama was just there a few weeks ago. To be honest Asheville was not somewhere I had ever thought about going. The Biltmore's there but we can see huge multi-million dollar homes from our balcony so it wasn't a major draw for us but Kelly thought it might be a nice little mountain village that we could hike and explore. We were in for a real shock.
Last week was our wedding anniversary. We have been married for three years now!
(Side note: trying to find that perfect anniversary gift is HARD!)
As a surprise Kelly took us up to Asheville. For anyone who cares about such things, President Obama was just there a few weeks ago. To be honest Asheville was not somewhere I had ever thought about going. The Biltmore's there but we can see huge multi-million dollar homes from our balcony so it wasn't a major draw for us but Kelly thought it might be a nice little mountain village that we could hike and explore. We were in for a real shock.

Ever wonder where all the hippies went? Well wonder no more I have the answer. They all went to Ashville!

Bless my husband, we stayed at the Grand Bohemian in the Biltmore village so we didn't see 'downtown' Ashville till the next morning. I have never seen so much tie-dye and long hair in my life! Not that I'm against long hair, I have it myself, but if it's all grey cut it off or dye it. They had some fun music being played on street corners but the surrounding crowds were smoking all kinds of things that were definitely not cigarettes.
One of the guys on my local radio show always jokes that Asheville is were all the state's liberals live. This is NOT a joke. Let me be clear, I am not hating on these groups here this is just going to be a general observation. The city was plastered with pro-Obama stickers and gay rights posters. As Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, and Bill O'Reilly fans, we were not a very welcome sight to most of the locals.
It wasn't the little mountain town we were hoping but it was educational. We took a few pictures but I haven't up-loaded them yet. I'll try to remember to do that when I get home tonight.
In the end the vacation was a little bit of a bust. Not a waste, just a bust. At least now we know not to build a vacation home there.
We decided our next trip will be Williamsburg and James Town. Good, old, dependable history. Plus Kelly found out that the Boy Scout's around here subsidize medals and patches at many of these historical sights. All you have to do is fill in information from different placards from around the sight and turn it back in to the visitor center. A lot of our upper ranking local Scout Masters and such (I don't know all the titles) have got several of these and they look really nice on their uniforms. There are several sights in Virginia and in South Carolina so I think they may have a little impact on our future vacation choices. Of course he still has yet to get the one offered here in Charlotte. Maybe this weekend. . . .
















1 comment:
I think your next vacation should be to Richmond.... So you can visit us!!! :)
Post a Comment