Friday, January 22, 2010

Crazy South? Or Sheltered Utah Girl?

We've been here for two and half years and I keep thinking I'm done being surprised. When we first got here we both thought "Wow, this isn't that different from back home." Little by little I have been shown how juvenile this first thought was!

From Nascar to barbeque we have been slowly opened up to a whole new world. (I have also managed to completely embarrass myself a hundred+ times, but we’ll save that for another time) For many months now I thought I had the South figured out from fried chicken to pork rinds (popped one in my mouth before I knew what it was, needless to say I never swallowed).

However, I was walking documents over to my ASIAN co-worker’s desk (whose from the South, its weird) this afternoon and pulled up short when I saw he had two hotdogs covered in white stuff. YUCK! Appalled I asked him what he had on his hot dogs. His answer was “Mayonnaise and Coleslaw.” He said this like ‘duh! What else would have on a hot dog?’ My face undoubtedly registered my horror. Where’s the ketchup? Where’s the mustard? Is there something wholly inadequate with relish? Apparently not only is coleslaw the staple condiment to a barbeque pork sandwich here (something I had already been startled with) but it is also a HOT DOG condiment? It totally grossed me out but maybe I was just sheltered back home.

I must defer to my western counter parts, this is NOT normal is it?????

3 comments:

Sly Family said...

I think that is a little strange. I would never put it on my hot dog, no matter how much I was told it was good.

Kylie said...

Sounds nasty to me!

Kel said...

Thank you both! I'm glad that I'm not the only one.