Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Food Storage and Montana

Kelly thinks I'm slowly going crazy. Well maybe not so slowly. Last year I was really into planning the garden I would one day like to have. I began looking up what plants grow well here in North Carolina (cherry trees don't, a problem that made me seriously consider leaving the state forever) and laying out where I'd like to place everything in this make believe backyard. He first thought I'd lost it when I told him I would like several acres of land to plant in and that my garden would wholly inadequate without the addition of a bee hive. He and all of our friends have since been making fun of my ‘bee idea.’ Which I still hold to as being completely reasonable given that otherwise I’d have to pollinate several plants by hand!

Well, to make a possibly lengthy story short: I was instead turned on to food storage as a means of becoming self-sufficient. Our good friends Sui and Marianne are amazing at getting their food storage together. (Especially Marianne, she’s like a mormon Wonder Woman when it comes to food storage) As I am far from being as competent as either of these women I had to find some help. Thanks to a few trusty websites I have now been able to begin stocking up our pantry. Kelly has accused me of bullying him into buying several things but has since willingly admitted that they have been good purchases (Ah, victory!)

I've now obtained permission to begin saving up for my own wheat grinder! :) I'm so excited. I've already picked out all the recipe books I'm going to buy with it. My amazon wish list is getting incredibly long.

After picking up this new hobby I've since been informed by my beloved husband that he'll buy me my land if we move to MONTANA! I looked at him like he was out of his mind. I still think he's out of him mind. Montana? I told him I'd only go if he bought me 20 acres of land complete with a Ranch house, stables and horses. He just smiled and said 'Okay.' Thank heaven's the chances of a Montana law firm interviewing at law schoools all the way out here is slim to none so I think we're safe where we are :)

Well that's all from our crazy plot of North Carolina. Lots of love!

3 comments:

Kylie said...

Landon totally wants a beehive! I thought he was crazy at first, but I took him to a free bee keeping workshop last summer and it actually seems pretty cool (and not that hard to do). He thinks I am crazy too - I have been planning what our house is going to look like when we build it 20 years from now since we got married. :) Have fun with the food storage!

Sly Family said...

From the Food Storage Made Easy website I bought the binder and have slowly been getting things done. I am actually right now trying to get our 72 hour kits made. As well as our disaster kit. Mark thinks I am nuts too and hates it when I spend money period, but when a disaster strikes and I know exactly what we need and where it is he will be thanking me. There is a company called Mountain House...google it and they have freeze dried meals and they are really good. One night for Sunday dinner at my mum's that is what we had. They are a little pricey, but I think worth it for food that is yummy!!! Too bad you are far away...we could be doing this together. Anyway...goodluch!!!

Kel said...

Thanks guys! It warms my heart to know we aren't the only ones who are a little crazy. (It keeps us young!) Sometimes I feel so disconnected out here. It would be awesome to be able to do it together! I'm trying to learn how to make homemade bread now and I could really use the support :)
Thanks for the tip, Sarah. We'll definitely be looking into that!